Saturday, April 20, 2013

ABC (26 Day Countdown) to the end of the year!!



Ahhhh, Saturday!!  Fun things happen on Saturday!!  Sleeping, soccer games, and :


We love linking up with Joanne for her student motivation linky!!

Here is something we do at the end of the year as we countdown the last days in 4th grade.  Of course, you can use this in any grade, but for us, it's 4th.  (This was NOT my original idea- some wonderful teacher thought of it- but my school was doing it already when I came so I don't know it's origination!)

This is our countdown calendar.  We counted from the last day of school up for 26 days (the number of letters in the alphabet).  Then we started there.  For us, it started on Wednesday this past week.  For each letter, we do something fun that day.  You'd be surprised at how excited they get for each day!!  

We tried to make it so that the students were responsible for remembering to bring in what they needed each day this year because it can get expensive if you have to buy a bunch of items for several days during the countdown.  Of course, this works a little more easily for upper grades because they can remember.  

We had a few parents donate the Koolaid juice boxes for K, the Dum Dums for L, and the Popcorn for P.  But other than that, it all comes in with the child.

We had bubble gum day on Thursday and they were really excited about that.  Of course, my rules of no popping the gum, touching it with their fingers, or blowing bubbles probably were in full effect, but they didn't seem to mind too much!! No gum smacking aloud!!  ;O)

I'm excited about J day because the teachers on our grade level are getting together a play list of some songs that we are going to play randomly throughout the day for the students.  One of the teachers has NSYNC on her playlist!  We are going to make it fun (and funny!) and tell the students whose playlist it came from!  I'm excited about it!

I uploaded this as a google doc (just click the picture) so you can change it if you would like to use it.  It's a simple way to motivate them to continue to behave (nobody wanted to lose the opportunity to chew bubble gum!) and it's a fun way to countdown to the last day of school!!

How do you countdown to the end of school?
Amanda

If you missed out on our Friday Freebie, check them out!


21 comments:

  1. I love this!!! I can't believe how little time you have left! We don't get out 'til a month after you, but we had a zillion snow days, so no surprise there.

    I love how you have this all planned and organized...and your kids will love it all!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is hilarious! Oops! Great minds! ;-) Now they have some variety for the letters!
    Jivey
    ideas by jivey

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great idea! Thanks for sharing!

    ~Courtney
    Polka Dot Lesson Plans

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great idea, especially for my 5th graders at this time of year.
    Fabulous Fifth Grade Fun

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a creative way to end the school year. I am sure the students enjoy it. Thanks for sharing the idea.

    Foreman Teaches

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great idea girls...I'm going to use it this year except we still have a lot more than 26 days left:( Well...I may not be kinder after all. I did however get into the school I've always wanted to teach at but I get to meet with the principal on Tuesday morning and he's going to let me know what I'll probably be teaching. I said I didn't care...I was just happy to be there. So I'll let you know...it may actually be fourth instead...wouldn't that be fun!

    Stephanie Ann
    Sparkling in Third Grade

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love it! What a great idea! We have 31 days left, so plenty of time to implement! Is the countdown pre-made or do the students help you come up with the ideas? Thanks for sharing and linking up!
    Joanne
    Head Over Heels For Teaching

    ReplyDelete
  8. I 've honestly never seen a countdown like this before, but I've seen about five different ones in the last two days. I emailed my team to see if they'd like to do something like this. There are 12 of us so it can be difficult getting everyone on board, but fingers crossed!

    Jessica
    Literacy Spark

    ReplyDelete
  9. We have done the ABC countdown before but haven't for a few years. With this great freebie, I think it's going to be coming back this year :)

    Thanks!
    Elizabeth
    Fun in Room 4B

    ReplyDelete
  10. The first grade classes do the ABC Countdown and it's kind of their "thing," so we don't do it :( I'm trying to think up something 2nd grade could do instead.

    Angela :)
    Hippo Hooray for Second Grade!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I still have time to do this!! Yay!!! Great idea! :)

    Jennifer
    Mrs. Laffin's Laughings

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi there! I just found your blog through the Linky Party on Head Over Heels for Teaching. I love your count down chart. I'm jealous that you get out at the end of May! Our students don't get out until mid-June. :)

    Absolutely LOVE the clipart freebie. Such a cute blog name, too! I'm your newest follower! :) Looking forward to seeing what other neat things you have to share!

    Samantha
    Making Lemonade in Second Grade

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wha...MAY 22nd! We go until June 12th...You're killing me! :) LOL! I am going to do a countdown with the kiddo's this year. I thought it might be fun for them to tell me something they really would like to learn more about. Then I will compile some resources and draw one out a day until the end of the year. Not sure how it will really work out but I want to do something fun to count down our days together.
    Jean
    Diving Into 2nd Grade

    ReplyDelete
  14. I would love to do this!! Fingers crossed that I can get my team on board:) What a great motivator for the end of the year!
    ~Holly
    Fourth Grade Flipper

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wait, wait, wait...YOU GET OUT IN MAY!? That's awesome! We get out June 20th! Ugh!

    We do the same countdown! We call it the ABC Countdown. It is a 3rd grade "thing," but we continue it in 4th! :)

    Theresa

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love this idea and I have plenty of time to get it organized since we are in school till the end of June!!! I can't believe you are planning to listen to NSYNC - will the kids even know who they are?

    Looking From Third to Fourth

    ReplyDelete
  17. That is a fun idea! It seems like a great way to keep students motivated- definitely a keeper!

    -Maria
    Everyone deServes to Learn

    ReplyDelete
  18. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  19. What a GREAT idea!! I wish I had seen this sooner! I will definitely have to pin this to use next year! Thanks for sharing the idea and the document to get us started! Have a great end of the year!

    ReplyDelete

We love comments!! Like, super love them!! We like to reply by email (so you can see our response and we can chat back and forth) so please make sure that option is turned on in your profile settings or leave your email address here! Thanks again for taking time to comment!! It means a lot!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...