Sunday, April 7, 2013

Mentor Text Linky {Language Arts} - Crickwing- A Touching Story by the Author of Stellaluna





Happy Sunday, Friends!!!

(We are very sorry for all of the confusion that occurred between the blog hop and this linky and what was getting posted when.  We are just trying to make this as hard on you as possible!  Just kidding.  We really wanted it to be soooo easy and I (Amanda) am making it hard by biting off more than I can chew at a time.  I truly am sorry! ~Amanda)  on to Stacia's wonderful post!

We are soooooooo excited to be hosting our second week of the Must Read Mentor Text Linky. We were blown away by all of the awesome teachers who linked up with us last week. Thank youuuuuuuuu!!!! We can't wait to check out all of your amazing mentor text suggestions. My husband will be thrilled I'm sure when I order all of these great books...hehe!  :)
This week's subject area is Language Arts. I talked to Amanda, and I told her that I wanted to choose a book that really meant a lot to me, and that I knew would be applicable to many grade levels. We sorted through a bunch of favorites, and finally we settled on Crickwing by Janell Cannon.
Now, I had never heard of Crickwing before last year, but I stumbled upon it in a used bookstore. I was drawn to the cover initially because it is gorgeous! She does incredible illustrations! Anyways, then I started reading the book...I quickly realized that it was about a cockroach, and let me just tell you how I feel about cockroaches.........EWWWWWWWWWWWW!!!!!!!!!!! BUT, this cockroach was different. Ms. Cannon was able to turn a gross (to me) cockroach into a character who everyone at some point in their lives can relate to. When I read it to my 4th grade class last year, they LOVED it. I mean, LOVED it. :)

Crickwing is a moving story about a cockroach who realizes that although life has its struggles, being a bully is not the answer to solving them. He evolves from a scared, crippled cockroach to a heartless bully to a friend and hero. This story moved me because of its message and theme, but the author's language and craft are mesmerizing. I JUST LOVE HER!!!

This book can be used to teach a variety of skills including: cause and effect, inferencing, predictions, summarizing, literary elements, amazing adjectives, vivid verbs, and more! I think this would be a great book for the beginning of the year because of its message, but I also think that using it right now would be PERFECT! This is the time of the year when the students need to hear the message about bullying again. It's a great time to revisit this theme.

Crickwing is a text that teachers of all grade levels can relate to. I truly believe that students of all ages will enjoy it. I can't wait to share it with my class in a couple weeks!


If you have read this book, PLEASE let me know your thoughts. I would love some other ideas! :)

We would love for you to link up with us! Click the image below for details if you are new to this linky...
Click here for details about linking up
Here are the themes for each month!


T

hank you so much for stopping by, friends!  Have a wonderful weekend!!!

Stacia  :)
Next week's subject area for Mentor Texts is Math!!

Please make sure to link to the post for the mentor text, not just your blog URL, so people will always be able to find your post.  Thanks!!

22 comments:

  1. I changed my mind a million and one times on which book to post today. I finally decided on a good one! :)
    Theresa
    Pinkadots Elementary

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this book!! The vocabulary is outstanding. Lots of show not tell examples so it's great for visualizing.
    Gina
    Beach Sand and Lesson Plans

    ReplyDelete
  3. This book looks adorable. I'm always looking for new character building books for the beginning of the school year. Thanks for sharing and hosting this awesome linky!:)

    Kristin
    iTeach 1:1

    ReplyDelete
  4. Morning! I LOVE Crickwing and all of Janell Cannon's creations! Each one has such a great message for kids of all ages. Verde is one that I read to kids at the beginning of the school year. Thanks for sharing and the opportunity to link up!

    Have a great week--
    Sarah @ Hoots N' Hollers

    ReplyDelete
  5. First of all, I HATE cockroaches. I mean I freeze and enter a semi-catanoic state when I see one. I usually run for the spray and spray an ocean around it so it's pretty much swimming on the floor. then I cover it with an upside down paper plate until my husband (or brave kid) will throw it away. BUT I just may have to read this book anyway! What a great idea for a linky party!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have that book! Just came across it Friday! I have never read it and now I will! Thanks for sharing!
    :)Kim

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love that book, I don't use it as much as Stellaluna but maybe I will now that I have some really good ideas! Thanks for this awesome linky!

    Looking From Third to Fourth

    ReplyDelete
  8. Another one to pin!!! I especially love the bullying theme! You girls are the best. Thank you so much!!
    ~Holly
    Fourth Grade Flipper

    ReplyDelete
  9. Such a fun idea!! This was my first one! Cant wait to do more Linys with you guys! Love this book idea...think I might have to run out and get it! Love the theme. Newest follower :)

    Julia
    The Army Wife Teacher

    ReplyDelete
  10. love Love LOVE this book!!! It has gorgeous illustrations. You should check out Pinduli too if you haven't already. It's one of her lesser known books but still such a great message, and gorgeous illustrations, too!!
    Jivey
    ideas by jivey


    ReplyDelete
  11. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
  12. What a great idea for a linky! I am really enjoying all the ideas being contributed! Thanks for thinking of this! I am your newest follower!

    Carol

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is my first time joining in, but I have to say that this is such a GREAT idea for a linky! It is so fun to read other book suggestion from so many teachers- thank you!
    Aylin

    Learning to the Core

    ReplyDelete
  14. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Stellaluna is one of my favourite books, so I will definitely be checking that one out! Thanks for the recommendation!

    I am excited to join in next week - I have a full shelf of math texts ready to share!

    Alison
    Teaching Maths with Meaning

    ReplyDelete
  16. I LOVE LOVE Janell Cannon!!! I have this book and we use it next month when we do insects!!!! Stellaluna is so much fun too but our first grade fav is Verdi! My kiddos love all things Snakes and VERDI is so fun to read!!
    So happy to link up for week 2! YAY!
    Enjoy your day,
    Julie
    Ms. Marciniak's First Grade Critter Cafe

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hello! I just linked in with a post that wasn't quite the same as all the others but Julie's post from First Grade Critters Cafe inspired something! Hope that's ok!

    x Serena x
    Magic Mistakes & Mayhem

    ReplyDelete
  18. So, there is just need to understand each and every stance in detail and we would almost be able to grant sufficient details in the same way. spelling and grammar check free

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hi students! To tell you the truth, essay writing has never been my strongest suit. I kind of dreaded handing in the assignment i wrote. Then i sent it to https://essaywriter.org/buy-papers for help improvement, and they nailed it. My professor was over the moon. A great place to purchase a unique paper from.

    ReplyDelete
  20. This is a very good site that will help you write an essay or article in the shortest possible time and at an affordable price. https://paramountessays.com/research-proposal-help

    ReplyDelete
  21. At Acadecraft, clients can avail the best usa online tutoring services. From being professionals at teaching to being the best in academics, our tutors have it all! If clients want the best for their company’s tutoring module, our tutoring services are the best! For further queries, contact us at info@acadecraft.com.

    Also Read: distance learning services

    ReplyDelete

We love comments!! Like, super love them!! We like to reply by email (so you can see our response and we can chat back and forth) so please make sure that option is turned on in your profile settings or leave your email address here! Thanks again for taking time to comment!! It means a lot!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...