Sunday, July 14, 2013

Math Must Read Mentor Texts Linky {Estimation}



Hi Friends!


I'm excited to share another Must Read Mentor Text with you. This week's topic is Math, and I can't wait to see all of your books you link up! :)

The book I've chosen is Betcha! by Stuart J. Murphy

Amazon.com Book Description: What do cars, toys, people, and jelly beans have in common? They can all be estimated. Two friends try out their estimating skills and find out that estimating can have real rewards––especially when there’s a contest to enter!

I just found this book a few days ago, and I'm really happy that I did. One of the skills that students always struggle with is estimation. Sometimes they have trouble with rounding numbers, and other times they just forget how to estimate. This book does an awesome job of showing students real world examples of estimation. It reminds us that we use estimation every day, and that estimation is a quick way to find a total. It also shows the importance of mental math.

As I read the book, I brainstormed ways I can use this with my students next year. I think that I am going to use this book to introduce my unit on estimation. I am going to give each of my students a whiteboard and marker. They are going to solve the problems in the story as the kids in the story do. I will use my document camera to show the illustrations so that they can see them up close.

The format of the book has one friend asking the other friend to find a total. On this page, he is asking for the total number of people on the bus. 

The other friend then uses mental math to estimate the total. In this example, he uses multiplication to estimate. (Before showing the students this page I would ask them how they could find the total number of people on the bus. Then, I would have them try to find the answer on their whiteboards.)

On this page, the boy is finding the total of all the items in a store window. I love that it uses a real world example with money!

After reading this book, I will take the students around the school and we will try doing some real life activities- estimating cars in the parking lot, chairs in a classroom, seats in the cafeteria, etc. I think the students will enjoy it, and they will practice their mental math and estimation skills! 

Do you have any mental math or estimation activities that you love doing? 

Please link up your Math Mentor Texts! :)

Have a great Sunday,
Stacia  :)



(If you have never linked up before you can check HERE for more information.)


For the Linky- Please make yourself a SANDWICH!  Please comment on the person who linked up before you and the person that linked up after you.  I know everyone puts in a lot of time and effort to these posts and I want everyone to feel the love!!!  (Haha, see, you're a sandwich...you know...because you are in the middle of the comments...do you get it?)  ;O)

Next week's topic- Science


21 comments:

  1. My fourth graders have difficulty every year with estimation. I love that you will include real life estimation after reading. This will truly the students grasp the concept. I will be using this in my classroom. Thank you for sharing!

    Foreman Teaches

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great book! I'll have to check that one out, I hadn't heard of it before. We recently got really into number lines to help with mental math. Lots of fun!

    Kerry

    ReplyDelete
  3. This book looks great! I am always looking for ways to make math more "real" to the kids.

    Hunter's Tales from Teaching

    ReplyDelete
  4. This book has been put on my "must have" list! My kiddos always struggle with estimation. Your extension ideas are fantastic...thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love it! I really like how it shows real world estimating and the fact that sometimes we can get an estimate on some things versus needing an actual total.
    Love the idea of an estimation walk around the school!
    Linking up later...heading home in a bit...at a stay-cation resort!
    Fabulous Fifth Grade Fun

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is a great book! I love how you take the kids on the estimation walk around school. Thanks for hosting such a wonderful book text linky!

    Gwen

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looks like a great one! Estimation and mental math are such important skills!

    Sarah @ Hoots N Hollers

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ah I forgot about this book! Love the idea of going around the school to play Betcha too!
    Jivey
    ideas by jivey
    Follow Me On Facebook! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love, love, love when someone links up a book that I own but shares new ways of using it. Your ideas are great - I like the idea of going on a school tour to find more examples.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This looks like a great book! Estimation can be tricky for some students. It's always good to see new ideas to teach it.

    Thank you!
    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a fun linky! I just started a weekly feature on my blog so that I could write about all of my favorite math literature books. I found your link on teaching in OZ. Can't wait to link up!

    Tara
    The Math Maniac

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love that you shared this!!! What a great idea for using estimation with this book. I will definitely remember this -- too cute!
    XOXO
    Vicky
    Traditions, Laughter and Happily Ever After

    ReplyDelete
  14. Stuart J Murphy has the BEST math books! He must have a book for every math skill, and he gives such great examples to help kids "get it." Love him!

    -Amanda @
    Teacher at the Wheel

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thanks for the recommendation. I think this could even work for my firsties. Estimation is difficult because they want to be right, not just close. Maybe this book could help.
    Have a great week.

    School Is a Happy Place

    ReplyDelete
  16. I LOVE finding great math books!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Education help us to build the ability to reason and judge or other mentally for matured life. It is so difficult to understand all over the world but an educated person can better understand all the world knowledge. mba capstone

    ReplyDelete
  18. You thus have to be compelled to write a private statement that captures the eye of the busy admissions officer while additionally effectively human action your strengths, ambitions and motivations. click here

    ReplyDelete
  19. The 27x39 poster printing is run through offset which supplies you simple, quality prints at an inexpensive price. you'll be able to have massive posters that that may attract the group, hanging them in awe at the brilliance of your colours and also the definition of your pictures. homepage

    ReplyDelete
  20. There ar numerous tools that you just will use to hurry up the full method of writing your articles. a number of them ar the following: synchronic linguistics and spell checkers. though manually proofreading your articles is very suggested, you continue to got to use synchronic linguistics and spell checkers to create certain that your articles ar unflawed. here

    ReplyDelete
  21. Thesis writing involves following a preset path to achieve a destination. appears like all you'd want is sweet guidance computer code, right? Not extremely. The thesis paper is predicated upon a theory or concept that the author can got to arrange to prove among the context of a written work. click here

    ReplyDelete

We love comments!! Like, super love them!! We like to reply by email (so you can see our response and we can chat back and forth) so please make sure that option is turned on in your profile settings or leave your email address here! Thanks again for taking time to comment!! It means a lot!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...