Saturday, January 25, 2014

Positive Behavior Management {A Candy Store, Arts and Crafts, and Games Galore}




Hi, Y'all!

I wanted to take a few minutes to share with you a fun way that Amanda and I rewarded our students' positive behavior yesterday!  :)

Both of us use a "money" system in our classroom to encourage and reward positive behavior. The students have opportunities each day to earn "money" that they can then use to buy special rewards.

In the past, I have always used a candy box, treasure box, and a variety of passes such as wear slippers to school, no homework, sit with a friend at lunch, etc... I still have used these throughout the year, but Amanda and I wanted to try something EXTRA this year that could REALLY MOTIVATE our kids! So...........we planned a special afternoon for our kids- they were able to trade in their money for:

1) Extra Computer Time
2) Arts and Crafts
3) Candy Store
4) Extra Recess
5) Games (Board game, electronics, etc...)
6) Popcorn
7) Soda

The kids were ECSTATIC!!! I was hopeful that they would enjoy it, but they truly LOVED it! And they already are asking when we will do it again!!!

Now, I have used all of the above rewards before except the Arts and Crafts and the Candy Store. Those were new, and the students couldn't wait to see what they were all about it!

For the Arts and Crafts Station, the kids got to choose from a variety of materials that I picked up from the clearance section at Michael's and from Dollar Tree. And then they got to play! They were able to create whatever they wanted! It was so awesome for me to get to watch the excitement on their faces as they used pom poms, pipe cleaners, glitter, stickers, glitter glue and more! Yes, it was messy, but it was worth it! :)


For the Candy Store, I set up a mini candy counter. You can see the pic below.  :)  The kids got to fill a bag with wrapped candy, and then they got to fill another bag with scoops of unwrapped candy. They were THRILLED! One of my kids looked at me and said, "Mrs. K, you have outdone yourself! Wow!"  :)
It was fun!!!


My hope is to do another fun afternoon at the end of the year and to include even more stations that the students can choose from- maybe a video game station? or face painting? or jewelry making? Who Knows!

I am linking up with my good friend Joanne for her Sparking Student Motivation Linky. Please check out all of her awesome ideas and link ups!


Have a great Saturday! :)



11 comments:

  1. As your students said... Mrs. K you have outdone yourself! I absolutely love the candy store. Do you do this weekly or once a month and do your students need a certain amount of "money" to be able to buy things from the candy store? Just so curious because I may be interested in doing something like this, although my school has strict food policies, I LOVE IT! Currently, I have a reward system where students earn warm fuzzies (mini pom-poms) for extraordinary behavior and keep them in mini buckets that they keep in their cubby. Every other Friday I have "Trade-In Day" the students get to trade in their warm fuzzies for a variety of things... the more exciting the prizes, the more fuzzies they need (i.e. 5 warm fuzzies= a sticker but 30 warm fuzzies= mini rainbow loom pack, coloring books, jump ropes, Hot Wheels). We start the year off with the book Have You Filled a Bucket Today? by Carol McCloud, a fan favorite of many teachers :) P.S. am I still a no-reply blogger?! Please tell me NO! Haha

    I is for Inspire

    ReplyDelete
  2. I bet they LOVED this. That was so sweet of you. I really enjoy the candy bar station. I did this once after Benchmarks and they LOVED it!!!
    Kristin
    Come Visit Readbox!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great ideas and what a fun way to motivate kiddos;) I'm sure they love it:) Thanks for sharing:)

    4th Grade Frolics

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great idea! I just started in a new classroom and I can't wait to try this!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the candy store and arts and crafts! You CAN'T wait until the end of the year! They'll drive you crazy! I bet there were squeals of delight when they saw those two tables! And I think the video games and jewelry making would be awesome additions! I know I loved the money system when I was in elementary school! Thanks for sharing and linking up BBB!
    Joanne
    Head Over Heels For Teaching

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have done something like this before and we had a cookie decorating station as well as a video game station. The craft station sure sounds like fun!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love that you had stations set up. The candy store would be a huge hit in my classroom too. I am sure I could have a Rainbow Loom station too as what everyone in my class needs right now are more bracelets. I love that it is called soda - maybe rootbeer floats at the end of the year or ice cream sundaes - too many possibilities. Thanks for sharing and getting the wheels turning.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sounds like a fun afternoon for everyone! Thanks for sharing!

    Brandi
    Success in Second Grade
    Follow me on Facebook!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love the candy store store idea. I use a money system too and hold an auction at the end of each trimester when the kids can bid on various things like lunch in the room with a friend, use the teacher's chair and any simple toy/gadget I can find at the Target dollar store. I think I will incorporate your idea for our next trimester spending spree as more students will get to spend their hard earned cash. Thanks for sharing this!
    ♬Kay
    On the Trail of Learning

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is awesome! I am looking for more ideas for our monthly "Homework Stars" incentive and I have to show my team this tomorrow. Thank you so much as always for the inspiration!! :)
    ~Holly
    Fourth Grade Flipper

    ReplyDelete
  11. Definitely would love to be in your class! My district has a strict policy about food as rewards so that would have to be modified.. even for parties like Valentine's Day, our food has to be healthy snacks, so no soda, cupcakes, or cookies.. although many teachers have managed to get around that by adding raisins, banana slices and berries to the cupcake frosting table... Kids love rewards... my staff had a huge discussion about this reward system at a staff meeting this year because so many felt we were training our students to behave instead of them wanting to do it because it is necessary and makes them better people... great ideas here to share for sure!! Thank you!!

    Susan
    LopezLandLearners

    ReplyDelete

We love comments!! Like, super love them!! We like to reply by email (so you can see our response and we can chat back and forth) so please make sure that option is turned on in your profile settings or leave your email address here! Thanks again for taking time to comment!! It means a lot!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...